Mt. Zion Christian Cemetery
1562 Clermontville-Laurel Road
New Richmond, Ohio
The Boat Run Christian Church was organized in 1842 and met in a structure on Boat Run Road in Clermontville, Monroe Township, Clermont County, Ohio.
On March 12, 1869, the Trustees of the Boat Run Christian Church purchased approximately two acres of ground from W. R. and Abigail Clark in the amount of $400.00. This land is located on the top of the hill on the current Clermontville-Laurel Road. The cemetery was established in 1870.
Three years later in 1872, the existing building was constructed and named Mt. Zion Chapel. Before 1929, the name of the church changed to Mt. Zion Christian Church.
On March 5, 1910, the trustees of the church purchased an additional 15/16 acres from Emma and John Clark.
On June 29, 1929, the trustees of the church met and decided to transfer the burial grounds of the church property to an association or company. This company was formed and is currently called, Mt. Zion Christian Church Cemetery Association, Inc.
On January 15, 1952, the Mt. Zion Christian Church Cemetery Association, Inc. purchased over one and one-half acres from the Altman family, making a total of over four and one half acres total, church and cemetery property.
On March 28, 1996, the Mt. Zion Christian Church Cemetery Association, Inc, purchased an additional 3.6 acres from Lois and Archie Ireton, which brings the total acres for the cemetery to 8.1.
Source: C. Smith, November 3, 1991 as complied for Mt. Zion Christian Church Cemetery Association , Inc. Cemetery Record 1995.
Thomas A. Wildey III
Linda Fraley Bushman
Ralph S. Windle, II
Mt. Zion Christian Church Cemetery was honored by the Ohio Historical Society in 2003 for the many veterans and prominent grave markers that date back to the early 1800s. The marker states the following:
Mount Zion Cemetery grave markers date back to the early 1800s. Among those interred are Revolutionary War soldier, Lt. Hugh Mulloy who died in 1845, and Leonidas Fisher, Civil War soldier. There are also family plots of prominent Clermontville citizens: the Parkers, who founded the private Parker Academy (also known as the Clermont Academy), and the Fridmans. About this hilltop cemetery William Fridman once wrote “looking down the valley, ...the Kentucky hills beyond, I exclaim Peaceful Valley.”